Every individual dreams of having a bright smile with their pearly whites shining up front. However, it is a task for individuals with crooked teeth. Teeth cleaning with braces on is certainly no less than a nightmare. You must wonder, “how to whiten teeth with braces?” is it even possible to do so?
Eatables are considered the main factors contributing to teeth staining. However, brackets holding the braces also threaten the shininess of white teeth. Regular brushing does not remove teeth stains, and therefore a whitening agent is used instead.
Luckily, you can whiten teeth without moving your braces at all. If you don’t want to get back on the chair just yet, here are some DIY options to whiten teeth for you.
Can Braces Stain Teeth?
The brackets and wires do not hamper your smile. But, dealing with them is tricky. Dietary care is essential for both oral and overall health. What you consume impacts your teeth. Food with pigments like berries and drinks such as tea or coffee leave their mark.
Brushing and flossing on a regular basis reduces the chances of plaque and tartar buildup. However, cleaning the bracketed areas is very difficult, which leads to staining. That is why sugar-containing foods are not advised; they stick on the wires and slowly eat away enamel.
How to Whiten Teeth with Braces – Home Remedies
Some safe DIY home remedies available for whitening teeth with braces on include:
- Baking soda for brushing
- Oil pulling method
- Bleaching agent – hydrogen peroxide
These are quick result-producing methods for teeth whitening for people, with or without braces. Having said that, do not expect them to work in a single day. They show effect steadily, most likely after 2 applications.
Your dentist will provide these home-based kits.
- Set an appointment with the dentist and get a custom-made tray according to your teeth.
- The tray will have a 10% carbamide peroxide solution.
- Smoothly slide the tray with the bleaching agent in it over your upper jaw and lower jaw and let it stay there for a while.
- The period varies and is decided by the dentist.
Whitening Tooth Pastes
Using toothpaste for whitening the teeth with braces on is the easiest method of getting your desired result. It is a simple process with next to zero chances of error. These kinds of toothpaste contain bleaching agents like peroxide and baking soda for stain removal, do not interfere with braces, and show no effect on the cement used for setting the brackets.
Teeth whitening Gel – Paint-on
It is one of the easiest teeth whitening methods for people with braces.
- Ask for teeth whitening paint from a pharmacist.
- Apply the gel on the teeth and let it harden; this takes almost 30 minutes.
- Brush and remove the gel.
- Take extra care while applying near the brackets.
- Make sure to wash around them as well properly.
Tips for Retaining Whitened Teeth after Braces
- Use a good toothbrush.
- Always floss; the food particles fall in pits and build up between teeth.
- Try using an interproximal brush; it easily makes way into small spaces like the brackets and underwire.
- Fluoride mouthwash aids in remineralization and decreases cavity risk.
When looking for teeth whitening options with braces, consult your dentist to know the dos and don’ts. Let your dream of having pearly whites come true; visit us at Dynamic dental Solutions for an expert’s opinion. Call now at 281 837 9090 for more information.